Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Earthquakes and Peanut Butter Banana Bread


Good afternoon DMV area! What's "shaking?" Booooo! What, too soon right? In case you haven't heard, a 5.8 earthquake gave a gentle reminder to the DMV area that nothing in this life is guaranteed, no matter where you live. Where were you when it struck? 

I was in the middle of my PMP certification exam at a testing center in Washington DC. (The PMP is a 4 hour, 200 question unholy test for Project Management, the field of work I stumbled into.) I was approaching question 150 with plenty of time to spare and feeling good. 


Then the entire room began to shake. Earthquake or terrorists? The fact I have to weigh options is sad. My heart sank. I thought about life. Then I thought of people I love. It feels like trying to bend reality with sheer will power- a small voice saying "no" to an oncoming tidal wave. The lights flickered and I stood up with adrenaline. Everyone remained seated and looked around nervously. I opened the blinds to see what was going on in the street below: confusion.

Shortly, the shaking stopped. Neighboring buildings began to evacuate. Ours was the last to get the memo to exit. No explanation needed, booked it for the stairwell in anticipation of the after shock. Mother nature is a humbling force. The world is filled with noise and distractions- it's important to appreciate every day and express yourself. 

The good news is everyone is okay and the worst injury reported is a kid hitting his head while trying to hide under a desk. PHEW!



In keeping with expression, the culinary adventures continue! I was minding my own business while visiting my mom when I noticed some bananas going bad on the counter. It was clearly a sign to try this recipe I had been eyeing.



This bread is absolutely delicious! (I am ashamed to say it gives my family stable recipe a run for it's money. It's amazing how many bread recipes derive from banana.) The bread is crazy moist and you can taste the rich banana and peanut butter equally. This recipe is on the healthy end of the spectrum and super easy to make.



What makes this bread stand out from all others is the peanut butter glaze. Holy. Crap. It's the simplest combination but adds smoothness that makes your eyes light up. Don't take my word for it. Let's ask Parker what he thinks.

Hey Parker! Look over here with those beautiful green eyes. Sorry to disturb you kitty meow meow, but what do you think of this bread?



That good, huh? I agree!

Peanut Butter Banana Bread
from Cooking Light Magazine

1 1/2 cups mashed ripe banana
1/3 cup plain fat-free yogurt
1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
3 tablespoons butter, melted
2 large eggs
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
6 3/4 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1 1/2 cups)
1/4 cup ground flaxseed
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
2 tablespoons chopped dry-roasted peanuts
Cooking spray

Glaze:
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon 1% low-fat milk
1 tablespoon creamy peanut butter

Preheat oven to 350°.

To prepare bread, combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed. Add granulated and brown sugars; beat until blended.

Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 5 ingredients (through allspice) in a small bowl. Add flour mixture to banana mixture; beat just until blended. Stir in nuts. Pour batter into a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 1 hour and 5 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven; cool 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack. Remove bread from pan; cool.

To prepare glaze, combine powdered sugar, milk, and 1 tablespoon peanut butter in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Drizzle glaze over bread.