Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Old School Banana Bread

We don't use cook books in my house. The way my family cooks does not require measuring. You add, taste, think, adjust, repeat. However...

There's this one cook book that's been around my house since the dawn of time. I have no idea where it came from. We use one recipe in the entire book: banana bread. This is the only kind that's been made in my oven since I was a little kid. Yes, one day I will try something different. But for now, I love the simplicity of this recipe and how bananas make you feel slightly less guilty.
Preheat to 350 degrees and grease loaf pan.

1 stick margarine, softened
1 cup sugar
2 eggs, beaten
3-4 large bananas, mashed
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
1 cup broken pecans (optional- any nut you want)

Cream together margarine and sugar in bowl. Add the eggs and bananas. Sift flour and soda together into batter, blending thoroughly. Stir in remaining ingredients.

Remember, the great thing about banana bread is you don't need ripe bananas. The mushy ones are perfect and have better flavor for baking!

I usually like to add in 1/2 a cup of chocolate chips and a tablespoon of cinnamon. I used chocolate covered almonds this time. Yes, I'm a rebel.

Pour into loaf pan and bake for about 50-60 minutes. The numbers of bananas you put in make a difference. The more banana mush, the longer the cooking time. I've used up to 5 bananas.

Allow the bread to cool and jump right in! This is great for on-the-go breakfast.