Monday, January 18, 2010

Cookies and Cream Cupcakes

For Christmas, I received an awesome cupcake recipe book. My goal is to try every recipe. I was down to three contestants for the night and the Cookies and Cream Cupcake won.

Cake:

1 cup superfine sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) of unsalted butter, softened
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla
pinch of salt
4 eggs
10 smashed cookies (I recommend Oreo)

Frosting:

2 cups confectioners sugar
1 cup of unsalted butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
10 smashed cookies (garnish optional)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake tins with metal or paper cupcake wraps. This recipe yields 18 cupcakes.

To smash the cookies, simply place in a Ziploc bag and crush with the back of a spoon. Get creative with it. I made half of this batch with oreos, and the other half with mint oreos.

Mix the cake ingredients together until smooth. Fill cake tins to about 3/4's full. Bake for about 20 minutes.

I beat the eggs whites separately for the fluffy factor and added them last. My friend Enrique's mom is a skilled baker and she once told me to always make sure the eggs are at room temperature as well.
For the frosting, mix ingredients together. Make sure not to over stir or else it will lose some of the thickness. You can either add the smashed cookies to the frosting, or use them as a garnish. Wait for the cupcakes too cool completely, and frost!

The cupcake itself was delightfully interesting. It was fairly moist but the top itself was a little crispier. I feel like I should have done a better job smashing the cookies in the cake batter because there were the occasional big chunk. This is at the discretion of the cook and what they want out of this recipe- big chunks, little bits, a lot of cookie, only a little... These cupcakes were delicious and truly lived up to their name. However, the health freak in me does panic a little at the sight of 2 cups of butter in a recipe.