Monday, July 2, 2012

Apple-Carrot Bran Flaxseed Muffins!


You can imagine the heartache when I discovered that not all breakfast foods are healthy. I had put blind faith into the food industry. The word "cake" and the end of "pan" should have been an indicator. My first hint of truth was years ago when I was a barista at Starbucks. The "reduced fat" berry coffee cake was a favorite. It was, after all, reduced fat and had fruit in it. Perfect! Until another barista saw me merrily pecking away at a slice. She raised an eyebrow and told me to check out the nutrition label on the box. I was stunned. If that's reduced fat, I can only imagine full throttle!
As delicious as a blueberry muffin is and the fat kid joy a cheese danish evokes, I try to keep it healthy in the morning. It's the first thing entering your body. You wouldn't fuel an expensive car with low grade gasoline, right? Treat your body the same. You don't want to be that ol' beat up ghetto mobile with the broken speedometer running on fumes- you're worth so much more!

As a compromise between flavor and my love for a good muffin, I decided to try this tasty muffin recipe on the side of the Bob's Red Mill flaxseed bag. Flax seeds are packed with fiber and omega 3s. I like to sprinkle flaxseed into pancakes and smoothies. It adds a slightly nutty, natural flavor.


This muffin is packed full of good things: whole wheat flour, flax seed, oat bran, carrots, nuts, and apples. It calls for a full cup of brown sugar but I cut down because the raisins provide pockets of sweetness. As always, tailor to your liking!

So next time you feel that muffin urge come ah-creeping, try these bad boys out. They're filling, satisfying, and easy to make!





Apple-Carrot Bran Flaxseed Muffins
from Bob's Red Mill

1-1/2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
3/4 cup Flaxseed Meal
3/4 cup Oat Bran Cereal
1 cup Brown Sugar
2 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Salt
2 tsp Cinnamon
1-1/2 cups finely shredded Carrots
2 peeled and shredded Apples
1/2 cup Raisins (optional)
1 cup chopped Nuts
3/4 cup Milk
2 beaten beaten Eggs
1 tsp Vanilla

Mix together flour, Flaxseed Meal, oat bran, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon in a large bowl.

Stir in carrots, apples, raisins (if desired) and nuts. I like using the food processor! Combine milk, beaten eggs and vanilla. Pour liquid ingredients into dry ingredients. Stir until ingredients are moistened. DO NOT OVER MIX.

Fill muffin cups 3/4 full. Bake at 350 degrees F for 15-20 minutes.

Yield: 15 medium muffins