Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Magic Bars

As I opened the can of sweetened condensed milk, my mom's eyes lit up. She has a soft spot for the stuff. A few spoon fulls was a childhood dessert. She grew up overseas. I would not say they were in poverty but they were broke. While I was baking, she explained how my great-grandmother would bring cans of it whenever she visited from Africa. It was a tremendous treat and they never had something so sweet in their lives. Amazing how something so simple can leave such a lasting impression.

I wanted to make something quick and easy last night, so I chose Magic Bars. I have no idea why they're named such; that's simply how I was introduced to them by my '2nd mom.' Two things about these suckers: 1) they will rot your teeth- so sweet and 2) if you mess up making these, then you can burn water. They're that easy.


There is another variation i would like to try with oats. Down the line, I will attempt to create the "healthy" version of these bars- I'm thinking honey instead of condensed milk and dried fruits instead of chocolate. We'll see.

Magic Bars
adapted from family

Preheat the oven to 350 and throw the ingredients in a 8x8 or 9x9 pan!

1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1 1/3 cups sweetened flaked or shredded coconut
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (i used hazelnuts)
1 - 14 ounce can of sweetened condensed milk


Coat the bottom of the pan with the melted butter. Add the graham cracker crumbs and press slightly down. Layer on the coconut, chocolate chips, and nuts. Get creative and add anything you'd like! Coat the top with the entire can of condensed milk. Slap it in the oven for 30-35 minutes and you're done. Bam! It's all about the layers.


Serve with a LARGE cup of milk! Hope you enjoy and make sure you brush your teeth!