Monday, March 15, 2010

Moist Chocolate Honey Cupcakes

Honey. It's a great old school cure-all, delicious, natural, and one of the few substances that cannot be duplicated in a lab. There's something refreshing about that. If you haven't read it, I recommend the book The Secret Life of Bees. Good story and informational about honey's properties.

My mom loves honey and it's a staple in our house. Staring at a cabinet filled with various jars of the stuff, I selected this recipe from Love and Olive Oil.

I made two modifications: no peanuts and different frosting. The recommended frosting was a honey butter cream. I tried it out and then remembered.... I hate the taste of butter. Paula Deen would shoot me. Sure, a dab of it is okay on some breakfast foods but I found it overpowering. That's just me- I'm biased. If you prefer buttercream, take a look at Love and Olive Oil's recipe!

Instead, I used this frosting that is common in Jewish deserts. This was my first time making it and I must admit- it's pretty much wonderful!

Cupcake:
3/4 cup soy milk
1/3 cup canola oil
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup honey
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

Frosting:
3/4 cups honey
2 egg whites, lightly beaten
Pinch of salt
1/2 to 1 cup confectioners sugar (optional; to taste)

Preheat oven to 325. Line 12 muffin pan with paper liners.

Whisk together the soy milk, oil, sugar, honey, and vanilla extract until incorporated. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Make a well in the center of dry ingredients and pour in soy milk mixture. Stir until just smooth (do not overmix).
Pour into liners, filling each 2/3 full. Bake 18-20 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack and let cool completely.

For the frosting, heat the honey in a saucepan or double boiler for 7 minutes, stirring constantly. Lightly beat the egg whites in a separate bowl. Slowly pour the honey in a steady stream into the egg whites. Beat with an electric mixer for another 7 minutes. Add a dash of salt. You'll find the texture is like melted marshmallows! To thicken it, I added confectioner's sugar.

The flavor of the honey stays true! I think the texture of this is neatest thing ever. Do not slather it on, a nice even coat is perfect and wont drip. I had a lot of frosting left over, so I'm planning on making some apple muffins or pumpkin cake to finish it. If you don't want so much left over, simply halve the recipe. Also, this makes a great filling for cakes if you wanna core out the center and pour it in. Yes, I'm excited!

The result: a ridiculously fluffy, moist cupcake with smooth, honey licking frosting. This is one of the most moist recipes I have yet to find. Paired with this frosting, they simply melt into one another with each bite. Love it!