Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Chocolate Banana Cupcakes

Hello blog. How's it going? Good. I'm glad to hear that. Me? Oh, I'm a hot mess.

I baked a beautiful lemon cake last night. My punk ass didn't let it finish cooling. When I flipped it, a small part of the top stayed behind. Real slick. That's what you get for baking when you're tired. People say, "Oh I don't have time for baking." Really? Me neither!

This is what I call the Wonder-Woman complex. I can't say Super-Woman, that's reserved for my friend Jess. Will power decrees everything and anything is possible. Just give me 5 minutes- I can bake a cake, finish laundry, edit music, apply for grad school, and feed the cats. Don't tell me take it easy... I have things to do. That's the point where Handsome Boy Modeling School's version of Jack Johnson's "Break Down" starts playing in my head.

So the luscious lemon love was marred by my reckless watch. Still tastes amazing. On the side I was making peach frosting. I think it came out right. We'll see tonight. My mind wouldn't let me sleep until 2AM. The alarm didn't go off because my Verizon phone is schizophrenic. Got to work by 9 but I like 8:30 more. Fun.

Usually this would not phase me but I'm tired. My Achilles. It's a beautiful day, stop whining.

This cupcake is a superb blend of banana and chocolate. The frosting is very soft, not ideal for decorating but the flavor is on point. For some reason, mine looked like seashells! This cupcake is a combination of Love and Olive Oil and Banana Butter Icing . Bang on.

Cake:

1/2 cup coconut milk
1/2 cup ripe banana (about 1 banana)
1/3 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350. Line muffin pan with paper liners.

In a small bowl, mash the banana. Whisk in the coconut milk, sugar, oil, and vanilla extract until incorporated. Mixture will be a little lumpy because of the nature of the banana, but whisk out as many large lumps as you can.

In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Make a well in the center of dry ingredients and pour in banana mixture. Stir until just smooth (do not over mix).

Pour into liners, filling each 2/3 full. Bake 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer to a cooling rack and let cool completely.

Frosting:

1/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup mashed bananas (1 banana)
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar

Cream together butter, banana, lemon juice and vanilla. Slowly beat in confectioners' sugar, adding more if needed. Makes about 2 1/3 cups.