Saturday, November 6, 2010

Better Make it Better: Madeleines

Funk. This week has had a few curve balls. For example, I missed work on Thursday. Came in on Friday and noticed that my office mate's trash can was filled to the brim. Apparently, they 'had' let her go on Thursday. Happy Friday?

The charger for my camera has gone missing in action- a food blogger's nightmare. I've been going a lil crazy. My brother is letting me use his camera but it's not the same as my beloved Sony. All the same, thanks Broseph.

My laptop got a gnarly virus. Again.. thanks to my brother for fixing that. Hopefully all my old college pictures can be salvaged.

And as would only be fitting, the heater in our house is busted. The temperature doesn't phase me- it's my dome. I cannot leave the house with wet hair in the winter- it's a guaranteed migraine. Always keep a snow hat with me. People think it's because I love hats. Well guys... I do love hats because they save my ass. Stepping out of a hot shower into a frigid house though has kept me with minor headaches. Bah!



It's all good. Minor issues such as these are like mosquitoes. They irritate the hell out of you, you try not to pick at them, and eventually they go away. Shoo, shoo! Look at the cute kittens instead (I love the concept of this video).

I have a ton of things to post... but for now I'm going to have to tell of these yummy Madelienes. I have made Madelienes before from 101 cook books with this version. They were frustrating as all get out. So... better make it better.

These from David Lebovitz are simple and delicious. I love them dearly and so will you. They're super light and fluffy, you'll be amazed how quickly they vanish.

Note... you have to melt and cool butter. This takes a good chunk of time because that butter MUST be at room temperature or else it will mess up the eggs. The batter needs 1 hour to settle before you bake them. I make the batter the night before so I can have them fresh and good to go in the morning.

Cookies

3 large eggs, at room temperature
2/3 cup (130g) granulated sugar
rounded 1/8 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cup (175g) flour
1 teaspoon baking powder (optional)
zest of one small lemon
9 tablespoons (120g) unsalted butter, melted and cooled to room temperature, plus additional melted butter for preparing the molds

Glaze (optional)


3/4 cup (150g) powdered sugar
1 tablespoon freshly-squeezed lemon juice
2 tablespoons water

Brush the indentations of a madeleine mold with melted butter. Dust with flour, tap off any excess, and place in the fridge or freezer.

In the bowl of a standing electric mixer, whip the eggs, granulated sugar, and salt for 5 minutes until frothy and thickened.

Spoon the flour and baking powder, if using, into a sifter or mesh strainer and use a spatula to fold in the flour as you sift it over the batter.

Add the lemon zest to the cooled butter, then dribble the butter into the batter, a few spoonfuls at a time, while simultaneously folding to incorporate the butter. Fold just until all the butter is incorporated.

Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. (Batter can be chilled for up to 12 hours.)

To bake the madeleines, preheat the oven to 425 degrees.

Plop enough batter in the center of each indentation with enough batter which you think will fill it by 3/4′s. Do not spread it.

Bake for 8-9 minutes or until the cakes just feel set. While the cakes are baking, make a glaze in a small mixing bowl by stirring together the powdered sugar, lemon juice, and water until smooth.

Remove from the oven and tilt the madeleines out onto a cooling rack. The moment they’re cool enough to handle, dip each cake in the glaze, turning them over to make sure both sides are coated and scrape off any excess with a dull knife. After dipping, rest each one back on the cooking rack, scalloped side up, until the cakes are cool and the glaze has firmed up.

Storage: Glazed madeleines are best left uncovered, or not tightly-wrapped; they’re best eaten the day they’re made. They can be kept in a container for up to three days after baking, if necessary. I don’t recommend freezing them since the glaze will melt.