Saturday, March 12, 2011

Sriracha Chicken Wings

After 2 weeks of working in DC, I have come to a realization.

Eating lunch out is expensive. Holy crap. It's nice to do it every now and then but not every day of the week. That's just... painful.

So the other night, after commuting plans blew up in my face (again), I decided to call it a night and not do anything terribly productive. Oh yes, I have some great f*ck up commuting stories to share. The conclusion my mother and I came to: ride into DC on a dolphin... park him under the Key Bridge where a little burro will be waiting for me. I'll ride said burro to work. Piece of cake, right?

Ahem. In my defeat... I decided to make my dinner/lunch/dinner. Yes you read that. I had these Sriracha wings for dinner... brought some for lunch... and then finished them off for dinner a night or two later. What can I say? They're tasty. Plus... about 2lbs of chicken wings costs about $5.00 and I had the rest of the ingredients at home. Now that's a good deal.

The wings are kind of hot, but there's a hint of sweetness. You can gauge the heat by how much Sriracha you put in... Never had Sriracha? Run to your closest pho restaurant- I can guarantee that it will be on the table. The minced onions complement the spice, especially with the splash of vinegar. The left over sauce can be used as a dip with anything else! Really easy to make!

My favorite thing about these wings? They're on the healthy end of the spectrum because they are BAKED... not fried. There's no breading either. Just delicousness. When you do bake them though... you may want to put some tinfoil lining your sheet pan. I thought the oil would be enough to be prevent sticking but there was some light stickage.

Serve as an appetizer or meal! I made some jasmine rice and hoisin kissed broccoli on the side.

Sriracha Chicken Wings
by White On Rice Couple

about 2 pounds chicken wings, lightly coated with oil, tips removed
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 cloves finely minced garlic
about 1 small onion, minced (1/2 cup)
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup Sriracha hot sauce or any chili hot sauce (or more for a spicier sauce)
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 teaspoon fish sauce or soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin

Preheat oven to 425° F.

On baking sheet, spread chicken wings out on sheet and lightly coat wings with vegetable oil. Bake in oven for about 20 minutes, then flip chicken wings over and bake for about another 20 minutes, or until fully cooked and crispy brown.

While that's going down, in a small sauce pan, heat the 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil and add onion and garlic. On medium heat, continue stirring the onions and garlic until they are golden brown, but not burnt. Allowing the onions and garlic to reach a golden brown stage will bring out the extra fragrance and flavor. Then add ketchup, sriracha hot sauce, vinegar, fish/soy sauce and ground cumin.

Stir well and let simmer for about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside. After chicken wings have finished baking, toss wings in sauce.

Done!