Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Bourbon Pumpkin Cheesecake

It is imperative I sneak in this recipe in before the cold weather vanishes! This comes from the one and only queen of cuisine, Smitten Kitchen! I made it this past Thanksgiving, along side the Apple Cranberry Ribbon Pie, for my family.

It was quite the gamble to veer away from my favorite pumpkin cheesecake recipe from America's Test Kitchen but well worth it. My brother almost ate the entire pie. Oh, and I'm not talking about this cute tiny guy. There was a larger version- this one went to the boyfriend's family house where it was promptly demolished by his best friend. Two massacres in one sitting? Cheesecake don't lie.


My favorite part was the crust because of the crushed pecans incorporated. It gave a nutty dimension to the sugary crust.

The actual pumpkin cheesecake portion was luscious and dense, just the way cheesecake was meant to be. I don't think pumpkin could ever be overpowering, it's such a mellow and laid back flavor. It's sheer nature is comforting. There's 1 tablespoon of bourbon mixed in, which I honestly couldn't detect, which is probably for the best. Bourbon is a bit too woodsy smelling for me. If you're into bourbon... go ahead and sneak in some more. I won't tell.



The part that lost me was the topping. It's sour cream mixed with bourbon. You first bake the cake, then add this on top and let it cook for an additional 5 minutes. I don't remember the details, but something went awry. Maybe I tried to substitute the sour cream? Whatever the reason, I felt like it was too much topping and used a small amount.

If you're looking for a twist on the traditional pumpkin cheesecake fair, this rendition is top notch. For the recipe, check out Smitten's post.