Monday, April 29, 2013

Magic Custard Cake




Hollyyy crap... this is what? My third post for April? Terribly behind but let's put that in perspective. We've traveled to West VA and South Carolina; both work full-time; gym regulars; manage the house; love Autumn; and try to be sociable. Plus. Oh you know... the wedding is approximately 19 days away. *crazy eyes* There's been a lot going on behind the scenes in terms of planning and daily life. I'll try to bang out a few posts in the interim! Thanks for being patient!

This tasty treat is called the Magic Custard Bar. Apparently it's a known thing! I have never heard of it nor had the site where I found it, White On Rice Couple. What lured me in was the incredibly basic ingredient (flour, confectioner's sugar, butter, vanilla extract, eggs, and a touch of milk) list in compilation with the flavor profile. It's not super sweet and is perfect for any time of day. Have it with your cup of cafe or as a little bed time nibble. So what the heck is it exactly?

Well. Beats me. I guess that's why they call it a Magic Custard Bar. The bottom half as you can see is a custard-like consistency. It's smooth and mellow. The egg white makes sure this is as soft as a cloud. The mixture is very fluid so be careful when you mix! The top part has a very thin and delicate crust. Honestly.... the best way I can describe it is a yellow/angel food cake hybrid. Something about it made me think of Portuguese bread known as Pao de Lo.


It's a sophisticated little number; I would serve this to someone who doesn't have a real big sweet tooth but you still want to make them a nom. My goal was to give it to my "second" mom but that never happened. In retrospect, she may not have liked the yellow cake aspect. Good thing White on Rice has a chocolate version as well!
 
For the full recipe, check out White on Rice Couple's adaption of this kitchen classic!