Sunday, March 2, 2014

No Bake, Peanut Butter Mousse Pie with Cookie Crust and Hot Fudge



Peanut butter makes for a lousy cake. At least that's been my experience to date. It's fantastic as a frosting or filling but in the actual batter, it tends to make the consistency crumbly. That's never a good thing. 



Bearing this in mind, I threw convention to the wind for my brother's birthday. That man's palette is hard to peg; he's surprised me more than once with his commentary on desserts.  There is one thing I know to be true and I have relied on heavily on this fact: his love for peanut butter. 

Sorry traditional cake... not this day! Or should I say, not this birthday! This Peanut Butter Mousse Pie won the spotlight this year. It's from Baked: New Frontiers in Baking, one of my favorite cook-books for sweet treats. This pie don't play.



For starters, the crust consists of smashed chocolate waffers mixed with butter. Yes, cookies are built in! There's a thin coat of chocolate ganache spread on top to ensure that the filling doesn't moisten the crust. The filling is a sinful mousse comprised of creamy peanut butter, dark brown sugar, whipped cream, and cream cheese. I feel heavier just typing that list. As if all this isn't trouble enough, the fellas of Baked go hard and add a thick, luscious hot fudge topping. These elements combined make for a sincerely awesome pie. Not too heavy... smooth and balanced. 

Oh, and did I mention that this is a no-bake recipe? Measure, mix, and pop it in the fridge. Grab a tall glass of milk and attack. Doesn't get any better!



This pie was a hit. The birthday boy and the rest of the family gave high praise; it's in the husband's Top Five of Squirrel's and Sweets. That should tell you something since he gets to taste everything that I bake! 

Happy birthday again Joey! You are loved! 

Out of respect for the hard work the authors of Baked: New Frontiers in Baking put into their craft, it doesn't feel right to post this recipe. However, it can be found on the internet from other sources. If you like this pie, you'll love the entire book.