Thursday, June 23, 2016

Maybe Milano Cookies


While waiting in line at the grocery store, I thumbed through the magazine Bake From Scratch - The French Issue for ideas. That's when I stumbled upon a cookie recipe that made me hop around like a little bird - "Langues de Chat." The translation is "cats tongue" which in itself would turn heads. For me, however, it stood out because I grew up eating Portuguese cookies with the same name ("linguas de gato"). They were a casual snack, nothing you would break out for guests at a dinner party. Could the French and Portuguese be using the same cookbook?

As it turns out, this recipe is a far cry from my childhood treat even though the ingredients are the same with varying ratios. The cookies I grew up eating were crunchy and small, more resembling a British biscuit than the traditional American cookie. These were much softer and larger in comparison.  I think it's all the same cookie but in this instance, the size makes all the difference!


Additionally, the French version has optional chocolate ganache on the side. I didn't find it necessary to enjoy but it was a thoughtful touch. A thoughtful and familiar touch... That's when it hit me. Light, buttery cookies. A dash of rich chocolate. If you put the two together... perhaps in a sandwich form.... you get something equally fantastic: 

MILANOS! 

I flipping love Milanos! My family has never been big on homemade desserts but we always put out a box of Pepperidge farm cookies for guests. Milanos were the crowd favorite and tasted incredible with a cup of strong coffee. I've had a homemade recipe bookmarked for months but never got around to it. It was simply meant to be! There are so many different versions out there - some call for confectioners sugar instead of regular, others use whole eggs instead of the whites. Regardless. This recipe makes some banger cookies.


What's most stunning is how easy they are to make. It's literally flour, sugar, unsalted butter, egg whites, a pinch of salt, and vanilla bean. So simple! A few minutes in the oven and your kitchen smells incredible. Bake them to meet your desired texture - a little longer for some crunch or a little less for a soft chew. And of course, if you want the traditional Portuguese version (example here), keep them tiny!

Unfortunately, I cannot find a link to the recipe online from the magazine but I won't leave you hanging! Check out this recipe for Milanos that is extremely similar in terms ingredients and I'm sure just as scrumptious! Enjoy!