Friday, December 7, 2018

Black Sesame Tahini and Dulcey Chocolate Chip Cookies


This post is the sequel in my Tahini (sesame paste) cookie quest. In our last episode, I shared a lovely recipe from Food52 that I have made multiple times for friends. It's pretty much a standard chocolate chip cookie that substitutes tahini for butter.

Today's episode explores a new kind of tahini cookie (new to me, at least) using black sesame and dulcey chocolate chips. Who is this fiend and why are they so dang delicious? Let's find out!



Oh black sesame, how I love thee. In contrast to its pale counter part, black sesame has a stronger flavor and is more aromatic. I have never seen the tahini version at the "standard" grocery store and ended up purchasing it online. The texture is the same - it's simply bolder.

To balance the bold flavor of the tahini, you need a cookie that won't fight for attention like a regular chocolate chip. My first guess would have been white chocolate - even though I'm not the biggest fan of the stuff. That's when this recipe blew the door off the hinges with a new contender.

Dulcey Chocolate. To quote the Valrhona website, Dulcey chocolate is "a smooth and creamy chocolate with a velvety, enveloping texture and a warm, blond color. The first notes are buttery, toasty and not too sweet, gradually giving way to the flavors of shortbread with a pinch of salt." It's only 32% cacao and really is blond in color.


Fear not if you cannot find the "feves" version as they are rare in stores and online. I found two alternatives: 1) simply chop the baking bar version of the Valhrona Dulcey, or 2) use the Noi Sirius Icelandic Chocolate 33% which you can find online, at Whole Foods, and Harris Teeter grocery stories. We did a taste test of the two and honestly, the group was divided! I ended up using half and half! It pairs beautifully with the cookie.

These cookies are delicious. Again, it didn't scream "tahini" to me but it was more noticeable than the Food52 version. If you want more of that tahini flavor, I would recommend reducing the amount of chocolate chips/chunks in the batter. I will definitely be making these again for holiday get togethers.

Note: make sure that you freeze these cookies before baking! They go straight from the freezer into the oven!

The recipe for these awesome Black Sesame and Dulcey Chocolate Chip Cookies is from one of my favorite sweet-treat blogs, Hummingbird High