Friday, January 29, 2010

Vanilla Cupcake

Per request, I made some vanilla cupcakes with good ol fashioned chocolate frosting. Back to basics, you cannot go wrong- or can you? I found the cake recipe in same cookbook as the Cookies-n-Cream cupcakes from earlier this month (the ones with the Oreos).

Cake:

4 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 cups self-rising flour
1 cup sugar
1 cup of butter (2 sticks)

Frosting:

1 stick of butter, room temperature
2 cups confectioner's sugar
2 tablespoons soy milk or regular milk
1/3 cup unsweetened, dark cocoa
1 tablespoon nutella

Preheat oven to 350 and line 18 cupcakes pans.

Beat eggs until fluffy. Mix in the rest of the ingredients and bake for 20 minutes.

For the frosting, beat butter till smooth. Add the rest of the ingredients until fluffy.

I have to say, I was not impressed with the cupcake. It's a little dry and a touch crumbly. This was the same impression I got from the Cookies-n-Cream but I thought that was because of the cookies crushed. This is a very easy and basic recipe, but not the best Vanilla cupcake. I made up the frosting. It's smooth and rich, with just a touch of hazelnut.