Sunday, January 31, 2010

Key Lime Coconut Cupcakes

What to do when snowed in? Bake- of course! I have a long list of things I want to eventually get up on this (crepes, biscotti, etc) but lately it seems to be cupcakes, all day every day. To complement the cold, I made a lil taste of the tropics. The cake recipe is courtesy of the food network; I made my own frosting. The one on food network requited white chocolate which I am not a fan of.

Cake:

3/4 cups (1 1/2 sticks) of unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 heaping teaspoon of grated key lime zest
2 table spoons key lime juice (bottled or squeezed)
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 1/3 cup loosely packed sweetened shredded coconut

Frosting:

4 ounces of cream cheese
2 tablespoons of softened unsalted butter
1 tablespoon condensed milk
2 cups confectioner's sugar
Key lime juice (to taste)
Cut lime to garnish (optional)

Preheat oven to 325; line 12-14 cupcake tins.

With an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy- about 5 minutes. Slow the speed and add egg one at a time. Add the vanilla, key lime juice, and zest. Mix well.

In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add the dry mix and buttermilk in parts to the cream and butter mixture. Start with dry and end with dry. Mix until juuuust combined. Fold in the coconut shredding.

Fill the tins 2/3's of the way. I filled them entirely and got this mushroom effect on some of them. This is fine, but makes it harder to get out of the tin. Bake for 25 minutes.

For the frosting, cream the cream cheese until smooth. Add the butter, condensed milk, and confectioner's sugar. Add lime juice to taste!

These cupcakes were a big hit. Honestly, I don't think they tasted like "key lime pie" but I did not use key limes; I used regular, fresh squeezed limes. Key limes are smaller and more expensive; I did not see any at my grocery store. Key limes have a more orangey-lime taste so if you make a key lime pie- you MUST use key limes. For a cupcake though, a regular lime was sufficient. The cupcakes were light, moist, a smidgen of tart, and refreshing.