Thursday, February 25, 2010

Cinnamon Toast Crunch Cinnabuns : Part I

The worst/best idea is to go to the grocery store when you're hungry. Suddenly, everything looks glorious and you need to take it all home that instant. Yes, I can eat an entire frozen pizza and box of cookies, don't question my judgement right now!

Well, I was in that place a few weeks ago after a late night break dance practice. Strolling through the cereal aisle, I was nearly crushed with the weight of judgement. Golden Grahams? Special K? Lucky Charms? Cinnamon Toast Crunch? You can already guess who came home with me.
By chance, I stumbled upon this recipe from Sugar Plum Sweets. The stars aligned and I had to try it out. These are standard issue cinnamon buns. The only difference is the addition of the cereal crushed in the center to add a little crunch.

Cinnybun:

1 tablespoon active dry yeast
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2 cup warm milk (not hot)
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened, divided use
1 2/3 cups bread flour
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup crushed Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal

Frosting:

5 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
2 teaspoons milk

In the bowl, whisk together yeast, granulated sugar and 1/2 cup warm milk until well combined; allow to sit 5 minutes. Lesson learned, I used organic yeast for the first time and I have to say, I was not impressed. Though the rolls came out fine, I felt they were more doughey than usual. Sticking to my standard yeast next time.

Add egg, vanilla, salt and 2 tablespoons butter, and mix using a dough hook, until well combined. If you don't have the hook, you will survive with a regular attachment. I got lucky and found ours in the drawer!
Add flour and mix on medium speed for 5 minutes. Remove dough onto a lightly floured surface, and knead for an additional 5 minutes. Shape dough into a ball, place in a greased bowl, lightly cover, and allow to rise in a warm area for 1 1/2 hours. I was told the higher the location you let the bread sit, the better because heat rises.

Roll dough out using a rolling pin, into a 13x9-inch rectangle. Spread remaining 2 tablespoons butter over dough. Sprinkle brown sugar, cinnamon, and cereal over dough. Roll up, jellyroll style (like a burrito!), and slice very ends off. Slice log into 6 equal pieces, and place in a greased and floured 9-inch cake pan. Lightly cover and allow to rise in a warm area for 45 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brush a little extra melted butter over rolls, if desired. Warning: make sure you flour the bottom of the pan and easy on the butter. A few of mine were slightly caramelized on the bottom because the butter dripping to the bottom of the pan and not being absorbed enough by the flour. Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes.

For the frosting, stir together confectioners' sugar and additional 2 teaspoons milk until combined; drizzle over cinnamon rolls, and serve.
These came out pretty good; I still like the Pumpkin ones better but that's because I simply love pumpkin and it really did switch it up on a classic. If you're looking for a solid cinnamon bun with a lil crunch, these are a win! Even though Bruce made his impatience for cuddle time clear as he watched....