Monday, February 8, 2010

Peanut Butter Cake

Happy Birthday Josinu! I love my brother, he's the bestest. He crushes peanut butter so I decided to make him a peanut butter cake for his birthday. I got this recipe from Paula Deen.

The reviews were half and half; people either loved or hated it. I am in the middle. It's not bad but it's not great. The peanut butter taste is definitely there! However, it was a little dry which is what a few people warned in the review even with the recommended modifications and slightly shortened cooking time. I want my cake super moist and fluffy damn it. Other than- it's dead on for putter butter. I made up the frosting because I did not want it to be overly sweet- it's a mild chocolate flavor.

Peanut Butter Cake

by Paula Deen

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1 cup peanut butter
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 eggs

Frosting:


2 sticks unsalted butter
5 ounces unsweetened chocolate
1/3 cup buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup confectioners sugar (or till thickened)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees if baking with a metal dish; 325 degrees if using a glass dish.

Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt together. Add graham cracker crumbs, peanut butter, shortening, milk, and vanilla. Beat mixture with electric mixer on low until moistened, and then beat on medium for 2 minutes. Add eggs and beat for 1 minute.


Bake in greased 9-inch by 13-inch pan for 20-25 minutes. Do not remove from pan to cool. I do not recommend baking this is 2 pans. The top layer cracked when I placed it on the second so I had to switch them. This was a result of the slight dry quality of the cake.

The goofy home made batman logo was my own addition. Please pay no mind to the ghettoness. If you're curious, I simply outlined the batman logo on some wax paper with blue frosting then filled it with melted chocolate. I dipped it in ice water to harden and then placed it in the freezer for about an hour. I should have cut off the top of the cake to flatten it so the logo could have laid flat. It's the thought that counts and a lesson learned.