Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Pumpkin Biscotti

Tonight I wanted to make some Cocoa-Nana bread but that plan went out the window when I discovered my mom had consumed the 2nd banana. I have a ton of ideas- I made 2 lists at work, one for 2010 goals and one for baking ideas.

I decided to veer away from the land of cupcakes and take a stab at my partner in cafe: a biscotti. I love biscottis. It's fun to say, "biscotti hottie!" I was inspired by this awesome set I received for Christmas. My eyes lit up on the first bite of the Pumpkin Spice. I found this recipe from Rock Scissor Paper in Los Angelas, CA.

Biscotti:

1/2 cup plus 1 able spoon unsalted butter, room temp
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
2 1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
3/4 cup packed canned, pure pumpkin
1/4 cup chopped pistachios (optional)

Glaze:

1 cup white chocolate

Preheat oven to 350. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Yields about 16 biscottis.

With an electric mixer, cream together butter and sugar. Add the egg and mix until just combined. Add the flour, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, pumpkin, and pistachios (I did not use the pistachios). Mix till well blended. I actually added a lil cinnamon to kick it up.

Turn dough onto well floured surface and form into 12-inch long log. Press down until about 1 1/2 inches thick. Transfer to the parchment paper.

Bake until golden brown (about 40 minutes) and cool completely. Using a serrated knife, cut the log into 1/2 inch slices. Lay the slices on the baking sheet and bake a second round of about 1 hour, turning the slices every 15 minutes. I did not bake it for the full extra hour because it was already a golden brown after an additional 15 minutes of baking time on each side. Transfer to wire rack and cool.

Melt the white chocolate in the microwave or double boiler until smooth. Drizzle the white chocolate over the biscottis in a back and forth motion. My white chocolate was being stubborn and would not melt. I put it in the microwave and ended up zapping the moisture out of it. Quick fix- add a little milk or condensed milk and stir! It will smooth back out- do not panic.

Much to my surprise... these came out pretty good! I wanted a stronger pumpkin flavor but you could tell it was pumpkin. I highly recommend.