Thursday, April 1, 2010

Nutella Pinwheels

There is currently an abundance of nutella in my house due to the blizzard a few weeks back. Some people stock up on milk and water- we opted for nutella. In an effort to put a dent in it, I decided to make cookies. The recipe I found is from the Purple Foodie. This site has some great stuff!
This is an easy recipe with yummy results. Essentially, it's a sugar cookie with a spiral of nutella in it. Score for me cuz the bf loves sugar cookies and I love hazelnut.

1 stick butter, softened
½ cup sugar
1 egg yolk (not white)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 heaped cup sifted flour
¼ cup Nutella to spread, a little more never hurts
2-3 tablespoon, toasted, chopped hazelnuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 350F. The number of cookies is determined by how thin you roll the dough and how thick you cut the cookies.

Mix the butter and sugar together till creamy. Mix in the egg yolk and the vanilla extract. The mixture should be light. Stir in the flour and refrigerate the dough for 15 minutes so that it can firm up to facilitate rolling.

Roll out the dough into a rectangle of ¼ inch thickness. Spread the Nutella making sure to leave one finger space on all four sides. Sprinkle over the chopped hazelnuts and gently roll up the dough. I like to pinch the edges to ensure it stays together.
Refrigerate for another 10 minutes before cutting the slices. I left it in for 2 hours because I had to run to dance practice; this made cutting very easy! It's like buying the pre-made roll of sugar cookie dough at the grocery store.

Lay the slices on a lined baking sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes. Baking time will vary depending on how thick you've cut them. A little brown on the edges is good so keep an eye on it.

When you cut it, you can use a knife or wire. Purple Foodie made the wire suggestion because the nutella can smear some with the knife. I didn't have this problem with the knife because I left it in the fridge a lot longer (let it get to room temp before you bake). Pick what works for you!I'm not a huge sugar cookie person- add the nutella and hazelnuts... yah I'm down. It's nice because the edges can get a lil crisp but the nutella ensures that the center is soft. Plus, I enjoy adding certain nuts to baked goods. They add a lil healthy edge and some texture.

Get a cup of milk and attack.