Thursday, August 26, 2010

Edna Mae’s Sour Cream Pancakes

Why do I do these things to myself? I don't like sour cream. We've established this. A smidge is okay on a burrito- just a smidgey. I use it in some cupcake recipes. It's in pound cake. So it only makes sense to be in a pancake- right? That was until I realized just how MUCH sour cream we're dealing with: 1 cup. That's a good bit of sour cream! My boyfriend was cringing the moment he saw what I was up to (he doesn't like sour cream either). I'm sorry hun! :D You know I learn the hard way in the kitchen.

If you are down with the sour creamness- MAKE THIS. Go. Run to your kitchen. I brought one into work and my coworker was absolutely enamored. He thinks sour cream makes everything divine- even eggs. These pancakes are soft and melt in your mouth. I love the added banana topping! Thanks goes to the notorious pioneer woman for this recipe.

I made a quick batch of standard issue buttermilk pancakes for the rest of us pancake eaters. You can see the difference between the two by how they cooked on the griddle. The sour cream pancakes kept a nice solid circle with distinct browning. The buttermilk pancakes spread out more and were more flimsy.


Edna Mae’s Sour Cream Pancakes

1 cup sour cream
7 tablespoons all purpose flour
2 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/ 2 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Butter
Maple syrup
1 banana (optional)

Warm up your griddle, iron skillet or frying pan at a medium heat. Get it nice and hot but not smoking. Test with a drop of water to see if it simmers.

In a bowl combine sour cream with sifted dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking soda, & salt).

In separate bowl, whisk the eggs and vanilla together

Pour egg mixture into sour cream/flour mixture. Stir gently until all ingredients are mixed well.

Melt about a tablespoon of butter onto griddle. Using a ladle pour about 1/4 cup of pancake batter onto the pan, making about a 4 inch in diameter pancake

Cook one side of the pancake for about 1 to 2 minutes, placing a few thin slices of banana on top. Flip when the edges start to brown and cake begins to bubble. The bananas will caramelize a little. Yumm...

Remove from heat and stack high, top with a pad of butter and drizzle with lots of maple syrup!

A few scrambled eggs and bacon don't hurt either. The boy took care of these things. He uses soy sauce to make scrambled eggs. Maybe I can stalk him closely enough next time to get some actual measurements- because they're pretty freaking tasty. Bet you were in my house on a Sunday morning, huh?