Friday, October 8, 2010

Pumpkin Cloud Cookies

It's the Friday before a 3-day weekend! Oh thank goodness. It's well needed. My brain is a little burnt. Usually, working at a government contractor is boring, standard issue paper pushing sort of stuff. The project I'm supervising ends this month so all deliverables are hitting the fan. It's one of those situations where the manager does most of the grunt work. In other words- I'm getting fried slowly.

In celebration of October, I will be posting a pumpkin related recipe every Friday. I missed the 1st Friday but the post before that was the delicious pumpkin cheesecake of heaven. So I'm not too far off. This Friday is pumpkin cookies, and my friends crushed these during last week's football game.

There really aren't a lot of pumpkin cookie recipes out there. I know plenty pumpkin cakes, bars, rolls, etc. but the cookie department seems weak. If I'm wrong, please throw me your favorite pumpkin cookie recipe! I found this feather light recipe on AllRecipes and made a few minor adjustments. Refer to the original recipe if you want to adjust the number produced. I set it for 24 cookies instead of 32.

They are cloudy. Very light and packed full of flavor. Some said, 'this is a cookie??' They're just about perfect. No joke. They are simple, easy to make and delicious. I added a little extra pumpkin spice and a touch more of the cloves. Dash of mace (optional). I substituted some white sugar with brown. I'm a spice fan! I like to taste my food.

The glaze is pretty thick so use as much or as little as you want. Coats nice and smooth. If you want to add some flavor in the glaze, sprinkle a little cinnamon!

Cookies

1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 pumpkin spice (optional)
dash of mace (optional)
1/3 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup canned pumpkin puree
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg

Glaze

1 cups confectioners' sugar
2 tablespoons milk
2 teaspoons melted butter
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Dash of cinnamon (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

To make cookies... combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, ground cloves, cloves, mace (optional), pumpkin spice, and salt; set aside.

In a mixer, cream together the butter and sugars. Add pumpkin, egg, and 1 teaspoon vanilla to butter mixture, and beat until creamy.

Mix in dry ingredients.

Drop on cookie sheet by tablespoonfuls; flatten slightly. No need to roll them up. Just plop them on. They don't need a pretty figure. Bake for 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Cool cookies, then drizzle glaze with fork.

To make Glaze... combine confectioners' sugar, milk, melted butter, and teaspoon vanilla. Add milk as needed, to achieve drizzling consistency. Dash of cinnamon to taste (optional).