Sunday, April 3, 2011

Blogging and Panera Bread Pudding

Why do people blog? Why do we feel the need to share stories and pictures? Why do people read what others write? Is there a personality type for this form of communication? Type B people like to blab about their cats and recipes more so than Type A? Just throwing it out there. Honestly, I'm not sure why I blog. My kitchen creations and life are not so fascinating or out of the ordinary that they require documentation- just really amped about food.

There's an interesting article about the negative impact of facebook on teens. I think it applies to more than just teens; I know I've caught myself looking at friend's photos and feeling unaccomplished. At the same time, it's kind of creepy how people use the internet to show case their lives as if they're trying to prove something. At the end of the day, it's about being at peace.

How did we end up on this train of thought? Well, I didn't know how to start this entry. I considered talking about the weekend- my beloved sister had her baby shower (post to follow) and my awesome girlfriend's daughter was baptized. Then I felt self conscious having the focus on me- on my own blog. Strange no?

Not to sound pretentious, but much like dancing, I don't do it for other's entertainment and approval. You love something, you love something, so enjoy doing it. Again, like dancing, I sometimes enjoy it more when I share it with others. It's amazing to see how people's attitude and effort changes when they go from breaking in a corner to a cipher.

So thank you for letting me share my adventures and world in this silly little blog. Good Morning and I hope you have a great Monday!

Ahem! Back to the nom noms.

While waiting in line at Panera the other day, I couldn't help but notice these awesome little recipe cards Panera publishes. I saw one for bread pudding and decided to give it a shot. My mom LOVES bread pudding. If you know a killer bread pudding recipe, please share : )

The bread alone is delicious. There was a pang of guilt as it was cut into pieces. I can't say that guilt was present when I was crushing the end product. The bread was soft, warm, and gooey with just the right amount of custard. I'm a cinnamon whore so next time I'll dump some more in.

Plus, I didn't feel too guilty eating this version. I'm tempted to try this sinful version.

Panera Cinnamon Raisin Bread Pudding
by Panera

1/2 cup raisins or other dried fruit
1/2 cup orange juice or other fruit juice
8 slices of cinnamon raisin bread cut in 1 inch cubes
3 Tbs melted butter plus extra to brush pans
2 cups milk
3 large eggs
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp pure vanilla
dash salt

Preheat oven to 350. Soak raisins in orange juice and set aside

Cut bread into cubes and toss into large bowl. Toss cubes around in melted butter to coat. Place on a lined cookie sheet and toast in oven until golden (I don't see the harm in just using your toaster oven honestly). Keep an eye on this! It only takes a few minutes.

Let it cool for a bit; butter a casserole dish and line with bread. Dump the soaked raisins on top and distribute evenly.

Whisk eggs, salt, sugar and vanilla. Pour over bread. Chill for 15 minutes.

Place dish on a baking sheet and bake in 350 oven 30 to 35 minutes until center is set.

Remove from oven and cool 15 minutes before serving.

Note: may be baked in 6 buttered ramekins instead of a 2 qt casserole dish.