Thursday, June 23, 2011

Chocolate Dipping Sauce

Tell me what you know about dreaming.

I don't know the appropriate topics to address in this blog. Last year, I wrote an entry which commenced with how I was having a "bad" day. An individual gave feedback that no one wants to hear about my bad day- there's enough negativity in the world and my small world is a joke in comparison.

Point taken. Going forward, I took on a policy of not getting too "personal." There are a million ideas I would like to share- but I don't want to overstep my boundaries.

The point of a food blog is just that: food! Focus on the subject at hand! As you can see... I cannot help but slip tidbits about life because food is part of life. It's often a means of celebration, relaxation, and sheer curiosity. The two topics are bound to intertwine!

With that being said, I've come to realize that policy is a little silly, especially with my personality. I'm very expressive- even when I don't mean to be. People always know when I'm annoyed or irritated- my face is an open book. I can't hide my feelings worth crap. But hey-- what's the point of this life if you're NOT expressing yourself in the short time you're here?

Just a thought being tossed into infinity.

Food for thought? Bud dum dum ding! So. Let's get personal. Wink wink.

I made this Chocolate Dipping Sauce from White On Rice the other day. If you're expecting a hard coat of chocolate, guess again. It's a silky smooth ganache that goes with everything. It's the naughty version of the Boozey Strawberries. I used it with Madeleines (leave out the lemon zest if you don't like chocolate with citrus)- but would love to use it as cake frosting!

If you want to kick things up, add a splash of booze. The recommended liqueur is Tuaca- an Italian vanilla citrus brandy that I'm dying to try. For a virgin sauce, use a touch of 1 t vanilla extract and 1 1/2 T filtered OJ. I used Kahlua- you can never go wrong with Kahlua!

Best served slightly warm. and can be stored at room temperature for about a week.

Chocolate Dipping Sauce
from White On Rice

1 Egg Yolk
2 T (30g) Granulated Sugar
1/2 c (120ml) Heavy Cream
.25 lb (125g) Dark Chocolate (chopped in fine pieces)
pinch of sea salt
1 oz (30ml) Tuaca

In a medium bowl, whisk together egg yolk and sugar until it is a pale yellow and slightly fluffy.

In a saucepan, combine heavy cream and chocolate pieces. Heat over medium heat until chocolate is fully melted and temperature is about 160°F. Remove from heat.

Pour chocolate into egg mixture and stir until fully incorporated. Continue stirring for a minute or two to make sure sugar is fully dissolved. Add pinch of salt and Tuaca and stir until incorporated. Sauce keeps at room temp for about a week, and longer when refrigerated.