Sunday, August 28, 2011

Chocolate Cake with Strawberry Frosting

So the other day I found myself in a random circumstance. A close friend of mine, Richard, wanted to make cupcakes for his internship. I began shooting ideas when he remembered this frosting his brother's girlfriend makes for chocolate cake. Apparently, the stuff is legit.

I was ready to leave the conversation at that. He asked if I would help when the time came about- of course!


A few days later, the phone rang while I was cleaning up around the house. Rich was on his way to drop off some frosting. What?

He bustled through the door, Tupperware in hand, and asked me to straight up sample the frosting. He was on his way to TJ Max to buy some pants so there was no time to waste. I ate a spoonful and nodded my approval as he took off out the door again. I stood in the kitchen, blinking, with a container of frosting in my hands that was not there a few seconds ago. Okay.

When life gives you strawberry frosting... make cake?

I've had this recipe hanging on the fridge for a minute. It is the base for a Thin Mint cake I am waiting for the cold weather to make. May as well test it now!

Truth: this cake is stupid moist. It has a nice bounce and texture. It's lighter than most cakes because of the water incorporated. I found myself eating more than usual because it was like a chocolate cloud.

As for the frosting, it reminded me a lot of the buttercream used for the roses. It's got to be that crisco element, which creates a sinful confectionery treat. Richard was right- it's delicious and beats the crap out of the only other strawberry frosting I've made. I'm not a big buttercream fan, but the strawberries seduced me. I'll be sure to decorate with fresh strawberries next time!

Make this frosting with any berry you desire! You can customize the flavor by adding as much or as little fruit as needed.

Crazy Chocolate Cake
from SixeOneSeven

3 cups cake flour
2 cups sugar
2 t. baking soda
1 t. salt
1/2 cup cocoa
3/4 cup oil
1 t. vanilla
2 T. vinegar
2 cups water

Mix the dry ingredients and then add the wet ones, and mix until smooth.

Prepare pan(s) by greasing and flouring lightly. Pour into 24 cupcake pans, two 9-inch pans, or one 9X11-inch pan. Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 20-25 minutes (cupcakes), 30 minutes (9-inch) or 50 minutes (9X11). Test with a toothpick to make sure it is done all the way through. Cool.

Strawberry Frosting
from Rich's Brother's Girlfriend

1 egg white
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup milk
2 sticks of butter (room temperature)
1/2 cup lard (crisco)
about 12 strawberries (you'll be shaving the outside part)

Beat egg white until it's stiff. The egg white must be stiff to the point where you pull the beater out and it makes "little mountains" and stays in tact. Slowly add sugar and mix together until it looks gooey.

In a small saucepan boil milk until it almost overflows. Immediately remove from heat and add to the egg and sugar mixture. Stir milk until most of the sugar granules have dissolved.

Add crisco and butter to bowl and slowly blend on low. Once all of the butter chunks have been blended increase beater speed.

The icing will start to curdle and look like butter. Icing is done.

Once butter cream is done; shave the OUTSIDE of strawberries (the nice red part) and beat into the frosting. It took me about a dozen worth of shavings to really get a nice color/ strawberry taste. Substitute with any berry.