Thursday, September 1, 2011

Fancy Bacon and Egg Sandwich

Sometimes, the smallest gesture restores my faith in humanity. 



Went to Starbucks today and ordered a latte and one of those small lemon tart squares. I was clutching my treat bag, filled with little fat kid joy, when the cashier said the card had expired. OH NO!!

 
Immediately, I pushed back the nom nom and cancelled my drink. The baristas and cashier waved it off and insisted that I take my order and not sweat it. It's small thing- but it really made my day and I deeply appreciate the gesture. Much love and thanks. I'll be going to that store on the regular!



Not every morning can entail a Starbucks treat (though I prefer Caribou). Gotta make that guap! That doesn't mean breakfast can't be special. You deserve a lil pizzaz. Take basic things around the home and make them fancy, like this sandwich.

 

It starts with bacon. Need I say more? Probably not, but let me break it down.

 

Caramelize onions with a touch of butter and hot sauce with a lil residual bacon fat. The recipe says Tabasco but I used Sirarcha.



Brush off the pan and cook some eggs, nice and simple like.


Add your spices and layer it up on a slice of toasted bread with some arugula.


And just like that, a delicious breakfast/lunch cooked all in the same pan. Grab your head phones and run out the door!

Bacon and Egg Sandwich with Caramelized Onions and Arugula
from CookingLight

Makes 2 Samichs!

4 slices center-cut bacon
2 cups thinly sliced onion
1 tablespoon water
1/2 teaspoon Mexican hot sauce (such as Cholula) or Tabasco
1 tablespoon butter
Dash of sugar
Cooking spray
4 (1/2-ounce) slices whole-wheat bread
2 large eggs
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cup arugula

Cook bacon in a nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp (about 8 minutes). Remove bacon from pan, reserving drippings; drain on paper towels. 

Add onion, water, and hot sauce to drippings in pan; cover and cook for 3 minutes. Stir in butter and sugar; cover and cook for 3 minutes. Uncover and cook for 5 minutes or until golden brown, stirring frequently. Set aside; keep warm. 

Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Place bread in pan, and cook for 3 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Set aside, and keep warm. 

Recoat pan with cooking spray. Crack eggs into pan, and cook for 2 minutes. Gently turn eggs, one at a time; cook 1 minute or until desired degree of doneness. Sprinkle evenly with salt and black pepper. Place one bread slice on each of two plates; arrange onion mixture evenly over bread. Place 1 egg, 2 bacon slices, and 1/2 cup arugula over each serving; top with remaining bread slices. Serve immediately.