Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Eggnog Aletria

2012 is inching its way around the corner. I hope everyone had a very Happy Holiday, whether you celebrate or not. Hell, you cannot argue with that extra day off of work!

I've been doing a lot of thinking lately. About life. I realize that I don't care to share the "lows " on this blog because I want to give people a reason to smile. If there was a job for making people smile- I would be first in line, wearing my "don't I look responsible" suit, and my resume printed on a rainbow. 

 

Christmas was fantastic this year- filled with family, friends, and new faces. It was full of change and change always gives reason for pause. In 2007, our family dynamic began to shift and in some ways, I am still coming to grips with it. My parents separated that year and I am proud of my mother every day for having the guts to stand up against cultural norms and personal anxities. I guess in some ways I oversimplified the consequences in my head. Things changed. I guess it finally hit me this year. I'm a grown ass woman but no one is invincible. 

 

Change is a part of life. How we handle it defines the path we take. I am still trying to figure out how to handle it. At times, I can't help but to feel like I'm standing on a beach, facing an on-coming wave, and no matter how hard I dig my feet into the ground- it's just sand. I'm incredibly blessed to be surrounded by so many caring souls.




The kitchen is one of the places I find solace. I don't think as much. Your hands are always busy, your mind is occupied, and there's comfort in having method to the madness. Plus, the end result is joy! Something unique, pure, and made with love. 


This is one of the latest and greatest creations: Aletria. Aletria is a Portuguese traditional dessert. Honestly, I don't know it's background. All I know is it's been on the table at just about every major holiday since childhood. It is made of pasta. That's right. Pasta. Don't make a face! It's delicious and not overly sweet. People use different kinds of noodles (angel hair, capellini, etc.) but there is one common theme: thin. The pasta has to be thin!

 

Traditionally, this dish is made with milk, water, eggs, cinnamon, lemon peel, and touch of sugar. For the holidays, I switched things up a little. This version involves Eggnog and was inspired by mom. It's delicious hot or cold. Try it- you'll be pleasantly surprised!

Eggnog Aletria

250 grams aletria pasta (cappellini)
2 cups water
2 cups of your favorite eggnog
1 cinnamon stick
1/4 cup granulated sugar (optional)
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Cinnamon to dust

Take a shallow serving dish and set to side. 

Poor water and eggnog into a large pot with cinnamon stick. Cook until it simmers. Add pasta and cook through (depending on what kind of pasta you're using- read the directions and test for softness). Add sugar if needed. Some brands of egg not are sweet enough. Add nutmeg and stir.

Poor into serving dish and smooth over with spatula. Sprinkle with cinnamon- you can make a design or just dust it over. Keep in fridge with clear wrap on top. Note, if you cut it up for serving, it dries out faster so make sure you store in air tight container.