Sunday, May 20, 2012

Vegan White Bean Sweet Potato Burger



Staples are meals that are ingrained into a family's culture. Growing up, I could predict dinner fairly accurately. We didn't stray far from the play book: boiled eggs and potatoes, sardine  frittata, roasted ribs and peppers, black eyed peas with onion and codfish, vegetable soup, etc. Exotic meals meant hunan chicken and pizza. Sunday lunch after church was Olive Garden, Silver Diner, or Red Lobster. Frisky, no? As Mike and I grow together, we are trying to figure out our own staples.


These White Bean and Sweet Potato burgers made the list the moment they came out of the oven. I have made this recipe at least 3 times now and each time it's a win. We were so impressed, I even made them for his mother!


The combination of ingredients surprised me. It's drained white beans, a roasted sweet potato, tahini, lemon-pepper seasoning, dash of whole wheat flour, panko, and maple syrup. What the hell? Look I don't know how this all comes together, but it just does. Believe me. We added cayenne pepper and crushed red pepper since we love things with heat. If you cannot find cannelloni beans, substitute with any white bean. I found them for 75cents a can at Harris Teeter!

Note: cook the sweet potato a day-ahead! Wrap it in aluminum foil and back at 375 for an hour to an hour and half, until the skin peels off easily.

You can pan fry the burgers or bake them. We opted to bake them at 350 for 20 minutes (don't flip) in order to keep it healthy. I added extra panko to the mix to thicken, about 1/2 cup. It should still be sticky and moist, but you should still be able to roll it into a ball. Then, I coated it in some more panko crumbs to give it a little breading. Place the ball onto some parchment paper and flatten with your hand into a circle. Ready to bake!


And don't be stingy on the dressings. We used red onions, mixed lettuce, and fresh avacodo. I stuck with some spicy brown mustard while Mike used a little bbq sauce. Seriously, I cannot think of anything that couldn't be paired with this burger. 

Eating healthy never tasted so good!

For the recipe, check out kblog's Happy Healthy Life! It has a ton of great recipes and they're all vegan.