Thursday, September 9, 2010

OBX & Marble Cupcakes with Mocha Sour Cream Glaze

This is my third attempt to write about Marble Cupcakes. Usually blogging is my break from tedium but I can't focus. My mind and body are rebelling. This is the after-shock of vacation over Labor Day weekend in the Outer Banks, NC.



Last year, I went to OBX for the first time and fell in love with the area. A friends in-laws retired here so it's one of their favorite vacation spots. This year, werented an adorable yellow house and filled it with wonderful friends.


We played miniature golf, Wii, walked the beach, got rocked by the ocean (thank you Hurricane Earl), shot pool, had a bonfire with smores, and relaxed. The weather was on point. The house even had a little hot tub on the porch. I wanted to stare at the ocean all day.

There was some cooking thanks to Pro and Reuben. I'm going to bug Pro for his white wine rice and pork chops sauted in peppered cherry saute recipe. Yes, it was as delicious as it sounds. I made peach shortbread which is as only as good as the peaches you use. There was monkey bread and brown sugar cookies which were yummy. The cookies didn't rise properly because I didn't put enough baking powder. I can't wait to make them again! I could taste the amazingness. We lovingly called them 'sugar biscuits.'


Now it's back to work. The office is stagnant because none of the windows open, the air is thick and musty. It's always cold. My room has no view of the outdoors. It's 4 egg shell white walls that I have done my best to breath some life into. Ahh!!!


I want to go for a walk and breath in the crisp Virginia autumn air.

I want to lay on the soft sandy beaches of the Outer Banks and watch the sky change colors.

I want a cupcake.

These cupcakes are beautiful. They're sooo fluffy, moist, and perfectly balanced. The key is not to over-mix the chocolate and vanilla or it will turn into milk chocolate. I love making designs with the chocolate in Marble Cake, so next time I'm going to stick to a sheet cake or bunt. I truly love this cupcake!


As for the frosting. Ummm.... one word: sour cream. Yes yes yes... I know I whine about the stuff. But this time even my coworkers said something. It's just too much sour cream, it really comes through. If the sour cream was tweaked down just a smidge- I think it would have been perfect. It was smooth and delectable, but there was this little after taste that screamed- CHEESE! I WILL be making this frosting again, just with some minor adjustments.

Cake recipe from baking bites and combined it with the glaze of Joy the Baker.

Cake

1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup cocoa powder
3 tbsp water, hot
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup sour cream (regular or low fat)
1 cup milk (whole or low fat)

Preheat oven to 350F and grease 12 cupcake tins.

In a small bowl, combine 1/4 cup sugar, cocoa powder, hot water and 1/2 tsp vanilla extract. Whisk to combine and set aside.

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.

In a large bowl, cream together butter and 1 1/2 cups sugar until light. Beat in eggs one at a time, followed by the vanilla and sour cream. Working in two or three additions, alternate adding flour mixture and milk to butter mixture (ending with addition of flour), mixing until no streaks of flour remain.

Scoop out 1 cup of cake batter and stir into cocoa mixture.

Spread white batter into prepared pan. Top with chocolate batter and drag a knife through to create a swirling pattern.

Bake for 14 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean and the cake springs back when lightly pressed. Cool completely on a wire rack before frosting.

Mocha Sour Cream Glaze

5 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup brewed coffee, at room temperature

Melt chocolate pieces in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water, stirring occasionally until completely melted. Remove bowl from the double boiler situation.

Stir sour cream into the melted chocolate. Add corn syrup and vanilla and continue to stir.

Slowly add the brewed coffee bit by bit, stirring to incorporate.

This will be a thick glaze. If you would like it much thinner, you can always add more corn syrup and coffee. This glaze will thicken slightly as it cools.